The historical Memorial Gymnasium (or Mem Gym) opened in 1924 and is the primary gym on central Grounds. As the home of the varsity volleyball and wrestling teams, Memorial Gymnasium has a unique feel from our other facilities. In addition to a comprehensive array of fitness equipment, Mem Gym features an indoor wooden running track, combative/boxing room, and support to the numerous outdoor fields and courts in the area.
The University's Architectural Commission, with supervising architect Fiske Kimball, designed the building in 1921-24 as a memorial to the 2,700 University students and alumni killed in World War I. To fund the project, the state granted $50,000, President Alderman raised $100,000, and students contributed $150,000. Upon its completion, it was the third largest gymnasium in the eastern United States. Mem Gym was used for registration, concerts and basketball competitions until University Hall opened in 1965. In 1940 President Franklin D. Roosevelt gave a historic speech at Memorial Gymnasium denouncing Italy's declaration of war on France. This historic structure was granted landmark status in the Virginia Landmarks Registry in 2004.
- Cardiovascular training equipment, free weights, and strength training machines
- 3-court gymnasium (basketball, volleyball)
- Indoor walking/running track (1/12 mile)
- Multipurpose group exercise room
- Combative room (heavy bags, speed bag)
- Dry sauna (men’s & women’s)
- Day locker
- Semester locker rentals
- 3 lighted outdoor basketball courts
- See the MEM's accessibility features
It is our intention to make as many healthy activities available without compromising the safety of students or staff. The continued success is a shared responsibility among all of us to be informed and work together for the safety of our community.
- We are working hard to make recreational opportunities available and keep them available. University leadership determined this temporary mask policy was the best balance to mitigate risk while allowing most recreational opportunities. We understand masks limit certain forms of exercise, but we believe open buildings with masks are better than closed buildings. Though we cannot expect universal agreement on the policy, we thank you for your continued compliance, support and patience. And remember, it’s temporary!
- Hand sanitizers and fitness wipes are available throughout the centers to keep self and equipment sanitized.
- Staff and Students/Members are not permitted if they have or show symptoms of COVID-19; please stay home if you show any symptoms of COVID-19.
- Face masks are required while in the recreation centers per UVA's policy SEC-045 on Face Masks, Physical Distancing, Social Gatherings, and Enforcement.
- Starting 10/27, masks are no longer required for fully vaccinated people while actively exercising on cardio equipment, swimming or while participating in Group Fitness classes when social distancing is possible. Masks are required all other times.
- To keep the gyms open this fall, indoor, open-rec basketball is temporarily suspending due to the difficulty of maintaining compliance with the University’s Mask Policy. Outdoor basketball at MEM Gym, behind Copely’s softball field and supervised, Intramural basketball is available.
As COVID restrictions change, we will modify our operations, as quickly as we can, to remain consistent with state and University decisions. We'll continue to keep you updated, so check back frequently to stay informed.
- Email or call our business office if you need assistance: (434) 924-3791 | email@example.com
- UVA's Coronavirus Information Page
- Sign up for IM-Rec Sports email updates
- Download the IM-Rec Sports app on Apple | Android
Parking is available along University Avenue, as well as the Culbreth Garage (Zone 5513), Central Ground Parking Garage (Zone 5515) and Emmett Ivy Garage (Zone 5514).