North Grounds Rec Center
North Grounds Recreation Center, located near the University's law and business schools, expanded in 2015 to provide everything you need to reach your fitness goals. North Grounds Recreation Center now offers a 25-meter pool and international squash courts, in addition to the cardiovascular training equipment, free weights and training machines, basketball/volleyball courts, handball/racquetball courts and multipurpose/aerobics rooms.
- Cardiovascular training equipment, free weights and strength training machines
- 2-court gymnasium
- 2 multipurpose group exercise rooms
- Multimedia Cycle room
- 3 handball/racquetball courts
- 2 international singles squash courts
- 25-meter x 25-yard 10-lane pool
- Hot tub and sauna
- Wet classroom for aquatic instruction
- Day locker
- Semester locker rentals
- See the NGRC's accessibility features
It is our intention to make as many healthy activities available without compromising the safety of students or staff. The continued success is a shared responsibility among all of us to be informed and work together for the safety of our community.
- We are working hard to make recreational opportunities available and keep them available. University leadership determined this temporary mask policy was the best balance to mitigate risk while allowing most recreational opportunities. We understand masks limit certain forms of exercise, but we believe open buildings with masks are better than closed buildings. Though we cannot expect universal agreement on the policy, we thank you for your continued compliance, support and patience. And remember, it’s temporary!
- Hand sanitizers and fitness wipes are available throughout the centers to keep self and equipment sanitized.
- Staff and Students/Members are not permitted if they have or show symptoms of COVID-19; please stay home if you show any symptoms of COVID-19.
- Face masks are required while in the recreation centers per UVA's policy SEC-045 on Face Masks, Physical Distancing, Social Gatherings, and Enforcement.
- Starting 10/27, masks are no longer required for fully vaccinated people while actively exercising on cardio equipment, swimming or while participating in Group Fitness classes when social distancing is possible. Masks are required all other times.
- To keep the gyms open this fall, indoor, open-rec basketball is temporarily suspending due to the difficulty of maintaining compliance with the University’s Mask Policy. Outdoor basketball at MEM Gym, behind Copely’s softball field and supervised, Intramural basketball is available.
As COVID restrictions change, we will modify our operations, as quickly as we can, to remain consistent with state and University decisions. We'll continue to keep you updated, so check back frequently to stay informed.
- Email or call our business office if you need assistance: (434) 924-3791 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- UVA's Coronavirus Information Page
- Sign up for IM-Rec Sports email updates
- Download the IM-Rec Sports app on Apple | Android
There are designated parking lots with metered spaces adjacent to North Grounds Recreation Center (Zone 5501) and along Duffy Boulevard. Additional parking is available in the Darden Garage (Zone 5516) after 3:30 PM Monday–Friday.