Aquatic & Fitness Center
With the opening in 1996 and expansion in 2004, the Aquatic and Fitness Center more than doubled space dedicated to fitness on Grounds. The building includes an Olympic-sized pool with warm water and sauna, state-of-the-art cardiovascular training equipment, three-court gymnasium, indoor walking/jogging track, multi-purpose rooms, along with a café and team store. The Aquatic & Fitness Center is home of the UVA Swimming & Diving teams, who won the NCAA Women’s National Championship in 2021.
- Cardiovascular training equipment, free weights and strength training machines
- 3-court gymnasium
- Indoor walking/running track (1/10 mile)
- 3 multipurpose group exercise rooms
- Cycle room
- 50-meter x 25-yard Olympic-size pool
- Warm-water leisure pool, hot tub and sauna
- Wet classroom for aquatic instruction
- Day locker
- Semester locker rentals
- TJ's Locker retail store (a division of the UVA Bookstore)
- Juice Laundry
- See the AFC's accessibility features
It is our intention to make as many healthy activities available without compromising the safety of students or staff. The continued success is a shared responsibility among all of us to be informed and work together for the safety of our community.
- We are working hard to make recreational opportunities available and keep them available. University leadership determined this temporary mask policy was the best balance to mitigate risk while allowing most recreational opportunities. We understand masks limit certain forms of exercise, but we believe open buildings with masks are better than closed buildings. Though we cannot expect universal agreement on the policy, we thank you for your continued compliance, support and patience.
- Effective January 10 (per UVA SEC-045 Policy): Masks are required in IM-Rec facilities at all times (including while using cardio equipment). Exceptions: when actively swimming, eating or drinking.
- Hand sanitizers and fitness wipes are available throughout the centers to keep self and equipment sanitized.
- Staff and Students/Members are not permitted if they have or show symptoms of COVID-19; please stay home if you show any symptoms of COVID-19.
- In an effort to keep the gyms open, open-rec basketball and the sauna are temporarily suspended due to the difficulty of maintaining compliance with the University’s Mask Policy.
As COVID restrictions change, we will modify our operations, as quickly as we can, to remain consistent with state and University decisions. We'll continue to keep you updated, so check back frequently to stay informed.
- Email or call our business office if you need assistance: (434) 924-3791 | email@example.com
- UVA's Coronavirus Information Page
- Sign up for IM-Rec Sports email updates
- Download the IM-Rec Sports app on Apple | Android