Who We Are
IM-Rec Sports is passionate about providing first-class recreation for the University community. Membership is available to anyone affiliated with UVA and their families who want to maintain a healthy, active lifestyle. We offer state-of-the-art facilities and recreational sports teams, exercise instruction and wellness services. Members have access to all recreation centers and enjoy discount program registration fees.
The benefits of exercise and recreation are well documented from increasing energy and improving heart health to sleeping better and focusing your mind. Your IM-Rec Sports Membership gets you access to all recreation centers including the Climbing Center and the world-class McArthur Squash Center at Boar's Head. Join UVA's fitness community today.
The University's commitment to health and wellness is clearly seen in the four recreation centers on grounds. You are never far from the good feeling of a workout. We have 4 facilities with cardio/strength equipment indoor basketball courts, 2 pools, 2 indoor tracks, indoor soccer, racquetball and squash courts, indoor and outdoor volleyball, a combat room, climbing center and the list goes on. And that's not even talking about the numerous outdoor courts and grass/artificial fields. If you want to get active, we've probably got what you're looking for.
Eligibility & Rates
Ask About our FREE One-Week Membership! Anyone affiliated with UVA is eligible for a free week.
- It includes access to all recreation facilities and Group Exercise classes
- Call 434-924-3791 to activate
- Limited to one per person
Students not enrolled in summer classes must purchase a Summer Recreation Membership ($95) to have access during the summer (May 21 - August 13).
Spring graduates may purchase a Summer Recreation Membership ($70 for 1 month or $130 for 3 months). Please call 434-924 3791 or visit Business Services at the AFC or NGRC between 9am and 5:30pm Monday-Friday.
Full-time, current students are automatically members through student fees. Full-time students may also sponsor additional individuals for membership:
$130 per quarter
- Spouse - if student and spouse don't share the last name, proof of marriage is required.
- Plus One - one adult (age 18 & up) who resides in the same household as the sponsor.
- Dependent - ages 18–26 still claimed as a dependent on sponsor's taxes.
$70 per year
- Youth - age 17 & under.
Faculty Staff & Retirees (Health System included)
UVA Faculty & Staff, and retirees, are eligible to purchase a membership. The University subsidizes $50 for current, full-time employees on one-year memberships as part of their benefit package.
- Current Faculty & Staff: $340/annual; $160/quarterly
- Retired Faculty & Staff: $390/annual; $160/quarterly
- Part-time Faculty & Staff: $390/annual; $160/quarterly
Faculty & staff may sponsor additional individuals for membership:
- Spouses: $390/annual; $160/quarterly If employee and spouse don't share the last name, proof of marriage is required.
- Plus One: $390/annual; $160/quarterly One adult (age 18 & up) who resides in the same household as the sponsor.
- Dependent: $390/annual; $160/quarterly Ages 18–26 still claimed as a dependent on sponsor's taxes.
- Youth: $70/annual Age 17 & under
UVA Alumni Association Life Members are eligible to purchase a membership.
Alumni Life Members may sponsor additional individuals for membership:
- Spouses: $450/annual; $310/6-months; $180/quarterly If alumni member and spouse don't share the last name, proof of marriage is required.
- Plus One: $450/annual; $310/6-months; $180/quarterly One adult (age 18 & up) who resides in the same household as the sponsor.
- Dependent: $450/annual; $310/6-months; $180/quarterly Ages 18–26 still claimed as a dependent on sponsor's taxes.
- Youth: $70/annual Age 17 & under
Affiliates, Visitors, & Guests
University Affiliates & Visitors
- Employees of UVA Foundations and other organizations that directly support the University may be eligible to purchase a membership.
- Visitors to the University may be eligible to purchase a membership for 1-week, 2-weeks, or 1-month.
- Contact the Business Office at 434-924-3791 for details on affiliates and visitors.
- Members may sponsor personal guest(s) on a daily basis by purchasing a facility guest pass ($10 for adults age 18 & up; $6 for youth age 17 & under).
Q: Can I do payroll deduction??
A: Yes! Simply download this form and follow the instruction.
Q: How does parking work?
A: Monday–Friday, 7:30 AM–5:00 PM, members parking in metered spaces must pay the parking meter located inside the facility. Parking varies for each facility - get the details.
Q: Do you offer lockers for member’s use?
A: Yes. Each facility has free day use lockers and rental lockers available. Locker availability varies for each facility - get the details.
Q: Do you offer a towel service?
A: Yes. Each facility offers $.75 rental towels. For member’s convenience, towel cards are available for purchase (sets of 10) in advance, to be redeemed using member ID.
Q: How do I know when your facilities are open?
A: Facilities operate on semester and break schedules according to the University academic calendar. Get current schedule information and announcements online.
Q: Are Group Exercise classes included in my membership fee?
A: In an effort to keep membership costs as low as possible, the cost of Group Exercise is separated from the membership fee. You only pay for Group Exercise if you use it.
Q: Can I bring a guest?
A: Yes. Members may sponsor youth and adult guests. Read the Guest Policy for details.
Q: Does my infant need a youth membership?
A: Children under 6 months do not need a youth membership to access IM-Rec Sports facilities. Children between 6 months and 17 years may purchase a youth membership.