Mysore Ashtanga Yoga
To participate, purchase one of the following pass options:
1.) Purchase a 30-Day Pass for $40 (access to Mysore Ashtanga Yoga classes only; no membership required!). Purchase by calling 434-924-3791 or visit the IM-Rec Sports Business Office.
2.) Purchase a Group Exercise Pass (access to all Group Ex classes; available to students and IM-Rec Sports members only).
3.) Non-member/guest, who purchase a Guest Pass, may purchase single class passes for Mysore Ashtanga Yoga .
Mysore Ashtanga Yoga
Mysore is a style of teaching and practicing Ashtanga Yoga where individuals are taught in a group setting. Students work through fixed sequences of poses your own pace and level while relying on the teacher for instruction, guidance, inspiration, and physical adjustments. This is for all different levels of students, but especially for those of you who want to take up a regular yoga practice 3-6 days a week. Participants may arrive at any time during class hours. Check schedule details for best times for beginners to attend morning Mysore classes. Class Schedule. Offered in partnership with the Contemplative Sciences Center.
Led Primary Series
Primary Series is a class intended for more experienced students or regularly attending Mysore students who have had some exposure to the Ashtanga practice. Students are led through the entire Primary Series in the traditional vinyasa counted style. There is not much instruction beyond the traditional sanskrit count and to remind the student to “breath freely with sound”. For those that are practicing Ashtanga yoga on a daily or semi- daily basis, it is a lovely way to be led through the series with your Mysore community by your side.Those that are newer to the practice, or are at a beginner level, are welcome to join the class and stop whenever they are at the point they have been instructed in the mysore class. Observation is encouraged. For those capable this class will occasionally continue into the Intermediate series as ability permits. Class Schedule. Offered in partnership with the Contemplative Sciences Center.
- Do not add or leave out poses unless you have spoken with the teacher about it.
- If you do not remember or need assistance with a pose please wait quietly and the teacher will come to you as soon as they are able.
- If you have injuries or other special needs, please let your teacher know.
- Try not to drink water during class. We encourage you to hydrate yourself thoroughly when not in class.
- Do not wear scented body lotions, perfumes or oils.
- Students are encouraged to bring their own mat if possible. Public mats are available in the storeroom. Please wipe mats down and put them away after class.
- It is best to wait at least 3-4 hours after eating a meal before practicing yoga.
- Practice begins when you enter. Please respect the practice space and try not to talk in the room.
Mind & Body Classes
This is perfect for every body. Learn the fundamental aspects of this invigorating system of yoga, while being guided through the traditional sequence of postures. Class Schedule. Offered in partnership with the Contemplative Sciences Center.